.

.

.

.

Thursday, August 21, 2014

A Call to Serve

Yesterday I dropped off my youngest son 
to the Provo Missionary Training Center (MTC)

For those that might not be familiar with what the MTC is...
it's a place where The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints missionary's (typically ages 18-21) receive training and special instruction before they head off on their two year service mission for the church.

I'm apologizing up front about my raw emotion
{I really want to kick my sisters hiney's for assigning me blog duty today - "kick"}
 It's still pretty tender to this Mom.
I'm only on day 2 of 730.  :/
You'd think after doing this two times with two older sons that it would get easier.
I can attest that it does not!
Elder Shoemaker with all the SISSY's!   We are his biggest fans!

What I DO KNOW
is that my son WANTS to be where he is.
He has been waiting in the wings of his older brothers
 and cousins to get this chance to service a full-time two year mission.
He is happy
His soul has purpose
He is prepared
He is ready

Elder Shoemaker looking through a picture book that I created for him and gave to him a few hours before he entered the MTC.  We had lunch at the Spaghetti Factory -- a tradition for our family of departing missionaries!
 
I also KNOW
that time is my friend
and once I receive his first letter
and I hear of his experiences, growth and love for the gospel
I will be fine.
I have to remind myself of these things I KNOW
because right now I feel pretty delicate.
I wonder if Heavenly Father feels this way for us?  
I'm almost certain that He does.
 
My heart is so grateful!
When I think about the sacrifice that these youth give up
to serve Heavenly Father for two years of
their lives....I am in awe of them.
They put their lives on hold to serve the Lord.
Missions are not easy; they come with tough days 
balanced out with a few sweet rewards.  
It's hard work!

With 85,000+ missionaries serving across the world
it really makes you think, why do these youth do this?

 
Parents "drop" them off at the MTC
We correspond by email once a week
We get to Skype two times a year -  Christmas & Mother's Day
otherwise;
We can not call them
We can not text them
We can not visit them

 There is a reason for such strict rules. 
Their minds need to be single to the work without interruption or distraction

 
Why do they go?

Because they are called to serve from a Prophet of God
They are strong in purpose
They are an example and set themselves apart from the world
They know who they are
They want to serve
They answer the call 

“And now, if your joy will be great with one soul that you have brought unto me into the kingdom of my Father, how great will be your joy if you should bring many souls unto me!
D&C 18:16

Elder Shoemaker with Grandpa and Grandma Walker - just before heading to the MTC

This hug is never long enough....but look at that happy face!!


 When the moment comes 
and he walks away
and your heart feels both ache and joy
Just remember that is no other place on earth 
that you'd rather have your child be then serving the Lord.
This experience will change his life as well as the lives of others.


 
Until we meet again, Elder Shoemaker
I love you!



Sister #1

A proud Mom of two full-time missionary's
Elder Tanner Shoemaker, Honolulu Hawaii (2013-2015)
Elder Landon Shoemaker, Missouri Independence (2014-2016)

No comments:

Post a Comment