.

.

.

.

Tuesday, April 15, 2014

giving IT away......




I am a daughter, born of goodly parents.   
I was first born of five daughters and raised in a home of love.   


My Mother wasn’t as fortunate; however there was never a day in my young childhood that I really knew of the pain of abuse that she suffered as a child.  She made sure that my sisters and I had everything we needed and more.  In fact, I dare say she over compensated due to her upbringing.  She did not want us to go without – and we did not.  She broke the abusive chain.  How blessed we were. 

In my growing up years I was a bit of a tom boy.  I was {and still am} competitive and adventurous.  There wasn't a triple dog dare that I didn't love.  I loved all animals, bugs, and sports.   When the day came in my youth to make the transition to wearing a bra…it took me a couple of weeks {and perhaps even months} before I would put that darn lacey thing on!  I would hunch my shoulders and wear baggie shirts instead!  I quickly embraced my femininity and I can honestly say that my most favorite thing to wear is a dress and pair of rockin’ shoes. {ummm….do not visit my closet or under my bed...thank you…and we're moving on}

I married early in my life.  Please don’t become feeble kneed, but I was 19 when I married.  I do tend to get the “google” big eyes when I share my wedlock date.  Hey, it happens.  I attended BYU and met my husband the very first week of the semester.  Destiny!  Bam.  We were married the next summer and have been married for almost 27 years.  We have 3 amazing young men together. 



                                                     My oldest son is attending college and has recently returned
                                                    from an LDS mission.  He is available for dating and probably 
                                              would like long walks on the beach if we lived by one. {free publicity!}

  



                                             My middle son is currently serving a mission.  He's been out for 16 months!

 
                                                   My youngest son is about to graduate from high school and just 
                                                                   about to receive his mission call any day.
                                                                     {nerve racking.....hurry it up already!}

                                                                Can't forget my sweet little Rat Terrier, Clover.  
                                                             She was the only way I was ever going to get a girl.

I am definitely a missionary Mom and will continue to be for a few years to come.  I am proud of this heavenly calling to support them in their service.  It beyond warms my soul…and I’ll be the first to admit that the raw emotion of sending them out and welcoming them home is a whirlwind of emotions!    Now, that being said….don’t think that everything to this point in my life has been a rose garden!  I’m about to share a few thorns in my rose garden.

About 10 years into our marriage, we began to struggle.  Lots of various factors and quite honestly I can’t remember all the reasons.  I'm sure whatever the reason they were selfish ones.  It was pretty miserable.  I became involved in online chatting (when it was a new phenomenon and not as freaky scary wacko as today…but still), which only further put up the barrier between my husband and myself.  It was an easy thing for me to become emotionally attached to others.  I disconnected and so did he.  We would go months without speaking.  Sometimes my neighbor would even inform me of my husband’s whereabouts, because I honestly didn’t know.  I was lonely and I’m sure he was too.  I lost my light, my inner beacon; it’s still very difficult for to me to bring up those past emotions as it was a dark period in my life.   I was the oldest, the leader, the example….and feeling unworthy of any of those titles.

Issues compounded themselves as my husband spiraled into depression.  Eventually his depression pushed him into addiction; addiction to prescription medication.  I didn’t have a clue.  How could I?  There was no communication.  Events finally came to a pivotal point one February evening.  I lay in bed just barely falling to sleep……and my husband arrives home earlier than expected from work.  He worked a swing shift.  He climbed into bed in pure silence.  I knew something was immediately wrong.  He began to weep and curl into fetal position into my arms.   Needless to say this was beyond awkward, but I put my uncomfortable selfishness aside and tried to comfort him.  He eventually told me that he was arrested for prescription fraud, was addicted to prescription meds and was being forced to resign from his job of 10 years.  My heart sank.  It was hard to breathe in those moments.  I lay in silence as the words just did not come.  I was in shock.  It was a come to Jesus moment.  We had had our difficult years up to that point, but I did love him…deep down inside I really did love him.  It was a wakeup call for me…..for him….for US and for our precious family.  I had lost sight of what was really important to me, my faith, my family and my very own soul.  In that very moment…a moment that I will remember for the rest of my earthly and eternal life, I recommitted.  I was back in the game.  I prayed more fervently that I had ever prayed.  I was lifted where I stood.  I was broken, but slowly day by day able to pick up the pieces and be a supportive wife and mother to my children for the days and years that have followed since.  There has never been any more looking back...only looking and reaching forward.  I am planted firmly in faith.  Interesting how trials do that to us!? Right?  I am grateful for my struggles.  Twenty seven years ago when I married, I would have never thought this was my road to eternal happiness. Never.  Addiction has no boundaries.

Engagement Picture 1987 -- Isn't 80's hair the best?  Banana clip at it's finest....

My husband is a very humble man.  He is a wonderful man.  He is a dedicated man.  He is one that does not like to talk about himself, however that has had to change during his recovery.  He knows I’m sharing this story with the blog world and I have his blessing. He has shared his story on various occasions at conferences, church meetings and other various recovery programs.  He also is a recovery sponsor to others and attends his recovery meetings regularly…even after 9 years clean.  Of course what we have been through together with the support of each other, family, friends and God in the past decade can not possibly be summed up in one short paragraph.  We've had to earn back our relationship one day at a time.  If you are familiar with the twelve-steps of any recovery program (Narcotics Anonymous, Alcoholics Anonymous, LDS Addiction Recovery Program, etc) you will know that my husband can only stay clean by giving it away!  This is the same for us all….so today I share my story and give it away in hopes that it will lift you where you stand!    

...and Us today
I keep telling my husband, we should write a book!  Perhaps this is the start of that journey.
There isn't a triple dog dare that I don't love. 
Sissy #1
Instagram


15 comments:

  1. Keri and Matt - You are an inspiration to all of us!!! You story should be shared! So many need to hear it! Love you both!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow!! So VERY inspiring. Strong ladies here...thank you all for sharing and reminding me that happy endings are not just given out but fought for continually. Do write the book!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trichelle, Loved your comment! Truly indeed fought for in this case. Thanks for being so kind.

      Delete
  3. I am in tears. This hit so close to home for me. Thank you. Addiction is such a real thing and looked down upon so much as a weakness and casts judgment from a lot of people. However, it happens to GOOD people all the time. I've had to learn through this particular family members mistakes and struggles that I can't fix his problems but I can pray for him and support him. It has given be a greater understanding of what our Heavenly Father must go through when he sees his beloved children going down the wrong path.
    Once again, thank you. It's nice to know there are other people out there who have had their world's rocked by the dark world of prescription medications.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nicole, I've just re-read your comment this morning and it touches my heart because addiction affects so many families regardless of circumstance. ...and unfortunately the love one has to sit back until those affected by addiction hit rock bottom and seek help. My heart reaches out to those affected. May the Lord bless you!! I'm happy to help anytime. ~ Keri

      Delete
  4. Wow. We are so much alike it's NUTS. I know Amie and Annie (love them ,awed by them). Thanks for sharing your story. It has given me Hope and Faith for the Future. Write a book and I WILL read it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dave and Emily, I love knowing this! So super cool that your know my baby sisters too. I'm glad my story gives you hope....there is always hope! The book thing....kinda scary!

      Delete
  5. I honestly felt like you were telling the experience that my husband and I just went through a year ago bit almost shattered our family. My husband went to jail, lost his job and was in the depths of despair. Thank you so much for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tara, my hearts goes out to you and your family. I was there. I do have empathy for the situation you found yourself in. I hope that sunshine has once again filled your home and married life...I'd love to compare notes someday. Thanks so much for your comment. We all have life loads to carry, don't we? ~ Keri

      Delete
  6. I absolutely love how real and raw we get to be on this blog!! It seems we all go around trying to look and act our best when deep inside each of us are dealing with something that has completely rocked our world at one time or another!! Congratulations Keri on standing firm in your faith and doing what was necessary to save your precious family!! I'm sure you see the Lords tender mercies each day because of it. What a wonderful example and strength you are to me! Love ya new sissie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marilyn, Thanks for you comment! We do try to be honest with our lives and feel that our purpose with this blog is to be real and connect with those where we can make a difference. We all need that support. I suspect we've all been sent to this earth to have our lives "rocked" in one way or another. It's how we deal with it that makes the difference. Thanks so much for your kind words... your words inspire us to continue. Bless you! ~ Keri

      Delete
  7. Loved reading your story and your journey. To see that we all have had something in our past that had brought us to the point we are now. To find strength we didn't know we had.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Natalie, thanks for your comment. Your kinda a regular. We like that! I suspect Heavenly Father smiles at us when we "find" that strength He knew we already had. So great!

      Delete
  8. What a journey! You two are an inspiration. Love, hard work and our Heavenly Father will get you through anything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amy, thank you for your kind words. We love them! It keeps us motivated to continue down this journey as sisters. Your comments fuel us!

      Delete