.

.

.

.

Friday, January 30, 2015

Forest Friends.....

Hello World!

Sister #1 here.

Our family has been in creative mode for some time
since the purchase of our cabin a few months ago.

We've received such wonderful positive feedback from the remodeling/makeover pictures that we've been posting on
facebook & instagram 
regarding the Bear Lake Ranch House
and it fills our buckets to the brim!

If your interested in following the progress.
  Join us!



Requests have been pouring in for tutorials and today we're honoring one of those requests by posting how we made our "Forest Friends" that are now affectionately located in Bedroom #1 of the Ranch House.

I knew that I wanted to incorporate some reclaimed wood into the room I was designing to give it a rustic flare and so I started searching for ideas and came across these wildlife silhouettes that was just what I was looking for! 

  
The prices for these pieces ranged anywhere from $50-225 each.
  "Whatev's" I thought to myself --- I can totally make these!

...and so I did.

  I choose to do three "Forest Friend" designs and started out by measuring my wall space to determine the size of each wood square.  

I decided on 18 x 18 wood squares with no frame would be perfect.    The more rustic the better.

I then laid out out my wood to determine how much I would need to make three 18 x 18 squares -- measure twice, cut once.



Giving each piece a little cut on the chop saw according to my measurements.



I then laid each piece out making three 18 x 18 squares.



We decided because of lack of time that we wouldn't glue them together and instead secure them by nailing thin wood strips to the backside with a nail gun....like so. 



 Nail gunning it! "Kapow!"  Making sure to hit twice on each seam for extra support.



 ...and wah lah!  
{yes, this is my "wood working shop look" 
cuz we're real like that!}


 Once all three wood squares were finished it was time to lay out the designs.

Fortunately for me I have a very talented Mother who can draw just about anything and she was willing to share her talent with me and drafted up the silhouette sketches.  
 .
She even named them....{it's so my Mom!}
.
.
Meet Moose-ka-teer

.
.
Ker-Bear 
(My childhood knickname...ha ha)
.
.

.
.
...and Deer Oh Deer
.
.


 I then cut out each "Forest Friend" silhouette and placed them where I liked them on each wood square...



...and secured with tape.


 

I then traced around each silhouette with white chalk.  Chalk can easily be wiped off with water after the paint has dried not leaving a trace!




I then proceeded to whitewash the silhouettes.  Using plenty of water with white paint until I got the right consistency.


 First coat...let dry.



2nd coat. Let Dry


Once each silhouette was dry, I took a sanding block and roughed it up a bit to bring out the wood grain.  This is definitely a personal preference of how much you sand off.


I then used a finishing wax to shine it up a bit and to bring out the darkening of the wood grain.  Really love this effect!!!


I then let it dry over night...and they were ready for placement at the cabin.  

It was very exciting to see them come together and what a beautiful statement they make together in the placement of the room.

What do you think?

I personally am in LOVE! 







Just to give you an idea of what the room looked like before.

See below 

Yes, please do scroll back up and look a second time.  It's quite a transformation.




MORE TUTORIALS COMING SOON!!!

Have a most "Forest Friend" kind of day!

Love you Sisters!

Sister #1 OVER AND OUT!

No comments:

Post a Comment